My Etsy Store

My Big Cartel Store!

My Stitches



Ack, Zombies!

Yarn Shopping!



Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Evolver

I'm all about evolving as a person, becoming better by mastering skills, finding new passions, learning more, and generally creating ways to be the best version of me that I can imagine. At the end of the year, like a lot of people, I evaluate what's working and what isn't, then do a little housecleaning and try to pick up some new habits or ditch old ones.

I also use this time for some emotional cleaning too. I make the conscious choice to let go of things that have held me back, or that I continue to think about even though the events are long past. It's not always easy to say "see ya stupid events and so long memories of idiotic choices, thanks for kicking my ass and making me stronger, now get the hell out cause I'm making room for new and exciting things", but it does help in the moving-on process sometimes. I love the feeling of getting rid of old stuff. It makes me lighter and happier to deliberately let go of the burdensome thoughts of the past.

I do this with the junk in my basement too and it drives Nate crazy. I throw out everything I don't use after a year or two. Mostly because I hate lugging shit around and seeing boxes that never got opened from the last time three times we've moved. Probably the oldest things I have are my letterman's jacket from high school (soccer, academics, volleyball, and theater if you're curious), my old volleyball uniform, my class ring, and some awards from my senior year. And I've considered throwing those things out this week.

So in honor of the Fresh New Startiness of the season, I give to you (well myself really) these resolutions.


1. Stop letting my fear of failure hold me back. I have let this control me to the point of not even trying things I think I might fail at. It's the curse of being a smart kid sometimes...you find the things you're good at and stick with them so you continue to look smart. But that's not what life is about, and if I continue down this road, I'll never have the things I really want.

The best way out is always through. ~ Robert Frost

2. I’m really proud of myself for having worn sunscreen on my face for 15 years, and I’m appreciative that the result is that I look several years younger than my age. I often have people come into work and ask what year I am in college, and most people are shocked when I tell them I'm 30. Maybe they’re just dumb or being polite, but I’m taking it as a compliment. This year I’m going to work toward making changes I’ll appreciate in the next 30 years. That includes: losing 15-20 lbs, making exercise a daily habit, eating healthier, drinking more water (and less diet soda), meditating, keeping an eye on my posture, and generally taking better care of myself. I’d like to run a few 5ks this year too.

Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory. ~ Albert Schweitzer


3. I’ve bought many knitting books over the last two years, and while I bought most of them for the patterns they contain, I have several that are absolutely indispensable and must be read and absorbed. My goal is to read as many of my technique books as possible and incorporate more mastery into my knitting. I’m going to start with EZ’s Knitting without Tears, and Nancy Bush’s Knitting Vintage Socks. I’d like to get better at making socks, venture into fair isle, work on developing prettier cast on and bind off methods, learn to like seaming, and maybe try my hand at a lace shawl.

The secret of joy in work is contained in one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it. ~ Pearl S. Buck


I'm getting started on numbers 1&2 by joining up with Rachael and many others in this:




Here's wishing everyone a productive and plentiful New Year!!