My Etsy Store

My Big Cartel Store!

My Stitches



Ack, Zombies!

Yarn Shopping!



Monday, March 24, 2008

New Extreme Sport: Nerdiness

As y'all know, I'm all kinds of nerdy. I have lists. And those lists have lists and there are sublists to those lists. Below is the ultimate of all my lists. I'm using it to keep with with things I have to do anyway (like take the GRE) and help spur me into action on things I really want to do. I'll probably set up a separate blog for this, or I'll add it to my sidebar. I've found that so much can be learned about a person by reading their list: who they are now, what they want from life and from themselves, and ultimately who they hope to be in the next few years. It's a lovely concept.

And so, from Day One:

The Mission:
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.

The Criteria:
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).

Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past - frequently simple goals such as New Year's resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organizing and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.


101 Goals in 1001 Days
Take a photography class
Take the GRE (by April 15th)
Apply to Masters program (by July 1)
Get a Masters degree
Visit England/France (March 09)
Visit Seattle (August 08)
Visit DC (hopefully Obama’s inauguration)
Paint bedrooms and bathrooms (0/4)
Run 5 5ks (0/5)
Limit soda to one per day for a month (0/30)
Cut all soda for one month (0/30)
Lose 15 lbs (0/15)
Meet inches goals by May 23 2008
Decorate my office space
Pay off my car (Aug 08)
Pay off my credit cards (0/4)
Install bamboo floors
Buy new living room furniture
Open an untouchable savings account
Arrange to transfer $100 to that account every month for a year (0/12)
Donate $2000 to my IRA (0/2000)
Organize my pictures on my computer
Put photos in frames and hang them
Fix master bathroom walls
Buy nothing for one week (0/7)
Bring lunch and breakfast to work for one month (0/30)
Audition for a musical
Exercise every day for a month (0/30)
Donate boxes of books
Sand and repaint the dresser
Buy new bedroom furniture
Audition for Knit Girl
Organize family tree info from Dad
Knit a sweater for Nate
Plant 2-3 bushes in my front yard
Make our mailbox area pretty (pavers, dirt, flowers/vine)
Meditate every day for 30 days (0/30)
Create a website from scratch
Knit a sweater I love (or 2)
Buy fresh produce from a local farmers market 5 times (0/5)
Go to Rhinebeck
Write our wills
Set up and fund an emergency account
Bring credit rating back up to the old number
Organize filing cabinets, file and shred irrelevant stuff
Landscape side and back yard
Pay off my student loan
Go to an opera
Practice voice 20 minutes every day for a month (0/30)
Sell sewing/embroidery machine
Find a good doctor who will listen to me
Read 50 books (0/50)
Knit only from stash for 2 months (0/2)
Try something new once a month (1/33)
Try 10 new recipes (2/10)
Plant two trees
Go to a gaming convention (August 08)
Finish rereading Harry Potter series
Make a photo album
Go to the eye doctor
Knit a shawl for my mom
Knit 10 pairs of socks (0/10)
Buy a pair of great comfortable heels
Get back in touch with 3 old friends
Do something nice for my mom just because
Learn to use Dreamweaver well
Learn to use Flash
Learn to use Fireworks
Learn to use Photoshop better
Buy 5 new bras (0/5)
Volunteer at a soup kitchen
Volunteer with the Athens Literacy Council
Do one thing each month from We Are What We Do (0/33)
Follow 10 suggestions from apartmenttherapy.com (0/10)
Follow 10 suggestions from unclutterer.com (0/10)
Do an action/adventure activity with Nate every weekend for 2 months (0/8)
Subscribe to Real Simple magazine
Eat locally for 2 weeks (0/14)
Visit 3 state parks in GA (0/3)
Eat all meals in for a month (0/30)
Switch from coffee to tea for one month (0/30)
Go to 2 visiting speaker lectures (0/2)
Give blood twice (0/2)
Get a passport
Make 10 vegan recipes (0/10)
Nix fast food for a month (0/30)
Get another tattoo
Clean and cover the gutters
Donate 3 knit items to charity (0/3)
Attend an IT/Tech convention (other than PAX)
Use only my reusable shopping bags at the grocery store for a month (0/30)
Organize the attic space
Teach someone to knit
Finish and send Pete’s hat
Go on a weekend spa retreat alone
Host a knitting retreat
Donate to Child's Play charity
Learn to crochet
Ride bikes 20 times for more than 5 miles each trip (0/20)
Dye and ship for the sock club (0/3)
Get pregnant
Celebrate!

(I'm 2 short since I noticed some duplicates, but y'all know me...I'll add them in due time.)

I've already started working on a few of these!

If you read through the list you can gather that Nate and I are going to a gaming convention in August. PAX to be exact. Seattle had better brace itself - the number of folks going to this convention almost doubles every year and I think they're expecting some 100k this year. I actually could care less about the gaming (ok a fraction of that is a lie), but I *really* want to see Seattle. If you have any Seattle travel tips, let me hear them! We'll be staying right next to the Convention Center and will have NO car, so I'd love to get some ideas on great places to eat and fun things we can walk to. Well, that *I* can walk to. I doubt I'll be able to drag Nate away from the gaming.

And to help me get my nerd on, Nate got me an early anniversary present:


The nerdiness knows no bounds.