My Etsy Store

My Big Cartel Store!

My Stitches



Ack, Zombies!

Yarn Shopping!



Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day!

Happy Earth Day, y'all!

Earth Day is one of my favorite days of the year and I think it should be a national holiday with a full day off to work in our communities, plant trees, and ride our bikes instead of driving.

This Earth Day I'll be turning off the television and my computers for the evening. I'm going to knit and study my GRE book. I'm also researching composting, since my current method is a little too backwoods to be called composting. It's called throw-the-scraps-in-the-woods-for-the-deer-to-eat, or redneck recycling. At least I'm not chucking my banana peels into the trash. I'm hoping for a banana tree some day. Seriously though, the only soil we have is red clay and it is incredibly NOT conducive to growing anything. I can't even make grass grow. Or tulips, though I hear they're difficult - doesn't leave me less than disappointed.

I know I've listed out all the things we do to stay green before, so I won't do it again but I'll add that we're considering biking to work thanks to $3.50/gallon gas prices. It literally goes up every single day. I'm not looking forward to 5 mile rides, but if we did it even one day a week we'd save gas and money. We're also considering planting a small garden and growing some of our own vegetables. Yum.

Are you doing anything special for Earth Day?